Saturday, September 13, 2014

First Post!

Welcome to Scale Memories – a blog dedicated to 1/64 scale NASCAR diecast and the stories behind the cars posted.

As we begin, I'd like to give a little background about my interest in NASCAR and my collection. Growing up in the 90s, NASCAR diecast  played an important role in my childhood and my interest in the sport. Those were great times to be a kid into diecast. On any trip to the store there were multiple cars and brands to choose from, including Racing Champions, Pit Row, Hot Wheels, and Road Champs. The hobby shops stocked Matchbox/White Rose and RCCA. Almost every car and driver were made and the cars were cheap. While those days may be gone, my love for collecting isn't. This blog will showcase some of my favorite pieces in my collection.

It seems only fitting to begin this blog with the car that began my collection. This was the first NASCAR that I got as a child – shortly after Christmas in 1990. Racing Champions had a co-branding agreement with Matchbox to distribute the Days of Thunder cars for a while. This car came in a Matchbox box, but it was clearly produced by Racing Champions.


Obviously this car is a bit worse for wear, but it holds a special place in my collection because of what it represents: the start of my love of NASCAR, my love of diecast, and the representation of my childhood, which slips further into the past with each passing day.


Moving forward, I'll be featuring pieces of my current collection, not beat up relics of my childhood. However, it seemed only right to begin here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment